Thursday, January 14, 2010

Catholic Ukraine

Remember the Eastern churches: http://annalesecclesiaeucrainae.blogspot.com/.

Have an interest in the Eastern rites.  If you don't yet have this interest then ask the Lord for it.

This morning yours truly was at downtown Rome's historic Ukrainian Byzantine rite parish for Divine Liturgy sung in the Byzantine rite.  It's amazing to hear; even more beautiful than the Latin rite (for some of us).  Old Slavonic, like Latin, Syriac or Hebrew, is a sacred tongue.     

It's a nice little church, dedicated to Sts. Sergius and Bacchus, noble Romans who were martyrs at Augusta Euphratesia under Maximian (Oct. 7 and 8 in Martyrology).

3 comments:

  1. Is it sung every day? Or why on a Thursday? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I thought you might know. I've never been to an eastern liturgy but might do so on my next Rome trip (early March, all going well).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always bothers me when Catholics make the assertion that the Byzantine Rite is somehow more beatiful than the Traditional Roman. I mean, yes, I recently started attending a local Byzantine Parish but the thought that the Latins have somehow "deprived" over the last, oh, 1,500 years or so really bugs me...

    ReplyDelete