Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Canadian War Museum in Ottawa: Hitler's Car





This is a Grosser Mercedes 770 K; W150 Staatskarosse, one of Hitler's armoured cars.

The car was captured in 1945 by American soldiers at Hitler's mountain villa at Berchtesgaden and a few years later it was brought to Canada.

The G.I. soldiers who discovered the car had heard it was armored with "bullet proof" windows and so they wanted to test the windows to see if this was true.

One of the soldiers pulled out his pistol and fired several shots at the windows only to learn that the rumor was true, the windows did not break.

5 comments:

  1. http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-H12705,_Bad_Godesberg,_Vorbereitung_M%C3%BCnchener_Abkommen.jpg&filetimestamp=20081209210705

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    I'm geting tired of all this war memorabilia. When are you going to get back to Rome and serve us up some old vestments, saints relics, nuns and monks? God bless you!
    Bro. Augustine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure wish I had a break-proof window like that, when I got my own car window busted in by some lowlife outside church two weeks ago!

    [yeah, I'm being facetious here] ; D

    I'm with you, Bro. Augustine (Anonymous @ 6:21 am): hey John, when are you going back to Rome? In time for Holy Week and Easter, I hope....

    Barb in NY

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 1938 Cadillac of Patton can be seen at the Patton Museum:
    http://www.generalpatton.org/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give it back to germany or bavaria. It is a stolen car.

    ReplyDelete